Last Updated: 2nd April 2020
I opened my first Demat account in 2006 just after getting my first job. I was excited to invest in the stock markets.
I had my salary account with ICICI and it was damn easy to get a demat and trading account with ICICI bank.
But later I realized that ICICI demat account charges a hell lot of charges for trading and delivery of shares into account. Then I found best demat accounts with Zero Brokerage on delivery, means I have to pay no brokerage for long term investing.
Even for day trading, the brokerage is as low as Rs. 20 per trade (whether you execute an order of 1 crore rupees) Isn’t it amazing?
In 2010, I started investing heavily in stock markets. In the past few years, I opened accounts with top Demat & trading account service providers Upstox, Zerodha, 5Paisa, and Angel Broking.
Top Picks For Best Demat & Trading Account in India
Fix brokerage of upto Rs.10 per trade.
Upstox Demat & Trading
Fix brokerage of Rs. 20 per trade.
Fix brokerage Charges per trade.
Select Your Favorite Section
- Difference Between Demat and Trading Account
- Best Demat Account with Lowest Brokerage in India 2020
- Best Demat Account for Small Investors
- Best Demat Account for Investors in India
- Best Bank For Demat Account in India ( 3-in-1 account )
- Which account are you going to open and why?
Difference Between Demat and Trading Account
A trading account is used to place buy or sell orders in the stock market. Demat means dematerializing shares into digital format rather than on physical paper.
The demat account is used as a bank where shares bought are deposited in, and where shares sold are taken from. You will get a single account for demat & trading.
Best Demat Account with Lowest Brokerage in India 2020
Fix Brokerage of Rs. 10 per trade
#1. 5Paisa Demat Account Review5Paisa charges the lowest brokerage charges in India as compared to the other discount broker in India. You only need to pay flat Rs 10. per trade with platinum and titanium.
You can place a single trade worth crores and pay Rs 10 per trade. You will not be charged based on any percentage. In short, 5paise is the cheapest discount broker in India.
You would get your 5Paisa account opened on the same day on submitting all the documents.
- Invest in Mutual Funds and buy insurance through the same account
- 100% waiver on account opening charges – A saving of Rs. 650
- Maintenance Charges – Rs. 45 per month only for months when you trade
Margin provided by 5paisa
|Segment||5 Paisa Optimum Plan||5 Paisa Platinum Plan||5 PaisaTitanium Plan|
|Equity Delivery Trading||Up to 4 times||Up to 4 times||Up to 4 times|
|Equity Intraday Trading||Up to 3.5 times||Up to 5 times||Up to 5 times|
|Equity Futures||Up to 3.5X||5X||5X|
|Equity Option Writing||2.5X||5X on normal and 10X on expiry||5X on normal and 10X on expiry|
|Currency Futures||1 time||1 time||1 time|
Account opening is very easy and convenient. You fill up a simple online form and they will come to collect your documents.
5Paisa Brokerage Charges
5Paisa offers three subscription plans, namely the Optimum, Platinum and Titanium Plans. 5Paisa brokerage charges under different plans are as under;
|Transaction||Optimum Plan||Platinum Plan||Titanium Plan|
|Stock Delivery||Rs. 20 per order||Rs. 10 per order||Free|
|Stock Intraday Trading||Rs. 20 per order||Rs. 10 per order||Rs. 10 per order|
|Stock Futures||Rs. 20 per order||Rs. 10 per order||Rs. 10 per order|
|Stock Options||Rs. 20 per order||Rs. 2 per lot||Rs. 2 per lot|
|Currency F&O Trades||Rs. 20 per order||Rs. 10 per order||Rs. 10 per order|
5Paisa Trading Platforms
- Investor Terminal – Investor terminal is for the low volume traders. This is a web-based terminal and easy to access.
- Trader Terminal – Trader terminal is for high volume traders which provide a powerful interface and fast execution.
Read the detailed review of 5Paisa Demat & Trading Account (Also my personal experience of opening account with them)
Fix Brokerage of Rs. 20 per trade & Zero on Delivery
#2. Upstox Demat & Trading Account ReviewUpstox (earlier known as RKSV Securities) is one of the best discount brokers in India. If you are looking for low brokerages, high margins, and good trading platforms, then you must open your account with Upstox.
Upstox has fix brokerage of Rs. 20 per trade for intraday irrespective of the trading volume. And, you need to pay zero brokerage for delivery. Huge savings as compared to other full brokers.
You will get the fastest & best trading platform in India with Upstox which is the main requirement for trading. With no doubt, Upstox is the best online trading platform in India.
Upstox Account Regular Fee & Charges
- Upstox Equity Demat and Trading – Rs. 300 (includes first year AMC)
- Upstox Commodity Trading Account– Rs. 150
- Upstox Annual Maintenance Charges – Rs.150
But Upstox waived off account opening charges for CashOverflow readers if you apply for the account in this week of April 2020. Upstox takes one day to get open your account.
Upstox Trading Brokerage Charges
|Equity Delivery||Rs. 0|
|Equity Intraday||Lower of Rs. 20 per executed order or 0.01%|
|Equity Futures||Lower of Rs. 20 per executed order or 0.01%|
|Equity Options||Rs. 20 per executed order|
|Currency Futures & Options||Lower of Rs. 20 per executed order or 0.01%|
|Commodity F&O||Lower of Rs. 20 per executed order or 0.01%|
Special Offer on Brokerage Save an additional 60% on brokerage only for new account opening. Valid for only Feb account opening.
Advantages of Upstox Trading Account
- No brokerage charges for delivery
- Great trading platforms
- Fix & low brokerage irrespective of trade volume
What We Didn’t Like
- You cannot make the investment to IPO and FPO
If today you ask me which Demat account in India, I would recommend Upstox for sure.
Fix Brokerage of Rs. 20 per trade
#3. Zerodha Demat Account ReviewZerodha is one of the largest discount broker having more than Over 1.5 lakh trading customers with the average daily trading transaction of over Rs 10,000 crore.
Zerodha is best for small investors because there are no minimum charges of brokerage per trade. The brokerage rate is 0.01% or Rs 20 per executed order whichever is lower.
Zerodha takes 4 to 5 days to open your account. That’s is the reason to keep Zerodha at number 3.
Key Benefits of Zerodha
- Delivery is totally free. No brokerage on delivery.
- No minimum cap of brokerage per transaction.
- Maximum brokerage charge capped to Rs 20 irrespective of transaction volume.
- Provide a margin from 4 to 10 times.
- Trading Account Opening Charges ( one time) – Nil
- Demat Account Opening Charges ( one time) – Rs 300
- Trading Account Maintenance Charges (AMC) – Rs 0
- Demat Account Maintenance Charges (AMC) – Rs 300 per year
Zerodha Brokerage Charges
- Equity Delivery- zero brokerage
- Equity Intraday- 0.01% or Rs 20/per trade whichever is lower
- Equity Futures- 0.01% or Rs 20/per trade whichever is lower
- Equity Options- flat Rs 20 per trade.
Zerodha Trading Platforms
- Zerodha Trader – A complete trading solution for the investors and traders which provide complete market data and multi market access from a single front end.
- Zerodha Z5 – A browser based website specially for the users having low internet speed of less than 512 Kbps.
- Zerodha Mobile – A mobile app through which you can trade from your mobile also.
- Zerodha Pi – A next generation trading platform having many features such as integrating charting with up to 50,000 candles.
Best Full Service Broker
#4. Angel Broking Demat Account ReviewAngel broking is one of the oldest brokerage companies in India having established network branches in over 900 cities. At present angel broking providing service to more than 10,00,000 customers.
Angel broking‘s customer care service is up to the mark. I recommend Angel Broking only if your Adhaar Card is linked with your mobile number.
You can complete your entire application online and start trading after validating your identity with Adhaar OTP.
Angel Broking Provided Trading Platforms
- Angel Eye – A web based platform useful for portfolio tracking and undated quotes. It also provide up-to-date market information and live news. I use Angel Eye platform for transactions.
- Angel Broking App – A mobile app useful to view current market prices and track your portfolio.
- Angel Speed Pro – An installable software comes with 30 days intraday and 20 years historical data.
- Margin provided up to 10 times of the amount deposit.
- Free SMS advisory service for 3 months.
- You can start trading within 1 hour through digital KYC.
Account Charges of Angel Broking
- Trading Account Opening Charges – Rs 0.
- Demat Account Opening Charges – Rs 0.
- Angel Classic ( 10,000 to 24,999) – Rs 450 per annum.
- Angel Preferred ( 25,000 to 49,999) – No AMC for 1st year and Rs 450 p.a afterwards.
- Angel Premier ( 50,000 to 99,999) – No AMC for 2 year and Rs 450 p.a afterwards.
- Angel Elite ( 1,00,000 & more) – No AMC for 3 years and Rs 450 p.a afterwards.
You can read the complete angel broking review.
Best Demat Account for Small Investors
Sharekhan is one of the leading online brokerage company having more than 12 lakh customer base. Presently the company has provided service from more than 1800 offices across 550 cities.
Account Charges of Sharekhan account
- Trading Account Opening Charges – Nil
- Demat Account Opening Charges – Nil
- Annual Maintenance Charges – Upto 750 (depend on the balance keep)
Sharekhan offers two type of accounts
1) Classic Account – Classic account is an online trading account for equities and derivatives best suited for investors. This account has the features like multiple watch lists, real-time portfolio tracking with price alerts and integrated banking.
2) Trade Tiger Account – Trade tiger account is a net-based executable application for active traders who trade frequently during the day’s trading session.
I have their classic account because I am not a trader, I am a value investor.
|Equity Intraday||0.1% on both sell & buy ( min 5 paise/share)|
|Equity Delivery||0.5% ( min 10 paise/share)|
|Equity Options||Rs 100 per lot or 2.5% on premium ( whichever is higher)|
Benefits of Sharekhan
- Account opening charges are adjusted towards first six months brokerage or waived off
- No annual maintenance charge for the first year
- Sharekhan provides online & offline training workshops to investors
- Free call & trade facility
Drawbacks of Sharekhan
- Minimum brokerage charge per stock would reduce your profit on trading small (penny) stock.
- Brokerage rate is higher as compared to other demat companies. But you can negotiate at the time of account opening.
Read detailed Sharekhan demat & trading account review
#6. Religare Demat Account ReviewReligare securities Ltd. (RSL) is a wholly owned subsidiary of religare enterprise. RSL is a diversified financial service group which serving more than 8 lakh across both online and offline platforms.
RSL offers broking services in equity, currency and commodity along with depository participant services.
- Demat Account Opening Charges – Nil
- Trading Account Opening Charges – Nil
- First Year Annual Maintenance Charges – Nil
- Annual Maintenance Charges From 2nd Year – Rs 500
Note – You can avail lifetime AMC free account with one-time payment of Rs.2500.
Religare Demat & Trading Account Brokerage Charges
- Intraday Charges – 0.05%
- Delivery – 0.50%
Advantages of Religare Securities Ltd
- RSL provide mobile trading platform to place order anytime from anywhere.
- Provides facility of investing in equities, derivatives, currency, futures, commodities and mutual funds through a single account.
- Provides intraday reporting and historical charting.
Disadvantages of Religare Securities Ltd
- Charge Rs 10 per offline order with a maximum limit of Rs 50 per day.
Best Demat Account for Investors in India
#7. Motilal Oswal Demat Account ReviewMotilal Oswal provides a huge number of services such as private wealth management, retail broking, and distribution, institutional broking, asset management, investment banking, private equity, commodity broking, currency broking, principal strategies & home finance.
Presently the company has more than 1700 business locations with over 7.5 lakh registered customers. Motilal Oswal’s solid research-based advice is the reason for such a strong customer base.
They spend Around 10% revenue on research and on hiring & training for research. I do my own research before buying any stocks, so their research calls are not helpful to me.
Read MoreAccount Charges
- Demat Account Opening Charges – Rs 0
- Trading Account Opening Charges -Rs 0
- Annual Maintenance Charges – Rs 400.
Motilal Oswal Brokerage Charges
|Equity Options||75/ lot|
Motilal Oswal Trading Platforms
- Desktop Trading Platform – A desktop based platform which needs to installed in the system, provides to access over 30,000 research reports across all asset classes.
- Web Trading Platform – Accounts can be accessed very easily with any system through web
- Mobile Trading Platform – A mobile platform which allow to trade through mobiles and tablets.
Benefits of Motilal Oswal
- Award winning research advise covers around 95% of market capitalisation.
- Provides free brokerage for the first month.
Check out – Zerodha Vs Upstox
#8. Ventura Securities ReviewVentura is a full service broking company which provides service to clients to invest in equity, equity derivatives, commodities, mutual funds, fixed income products and currency futures.
I was a Ventura customer for a long time. Their web based online trading platform is not as matured as Angel & Sharekhan but they provide good support over phone.
Their windows based trading platform is also good. You will need a little trading before starting your trading on their platform.
- Trading Account Opening Charges – Rs 150
- Demat Account Opening Charges – Rs 300
- First Year Annual Maintenance Charges – Nil
- Demat Account Annual Maintenance Charges – Rs 400
- Trading Account Annual Maintenance Charges- Nil
Ventura charge different brokerage rate depends upon the plan that you will choose. You have to pay the plan amount at the account opening time. Your brokerage will be adjusted against deposit throughout the year.
|Plan||Refundable amount||Validity||Equity Delivery||Equity Intraday||Equity Futures||Equity Options|
|Rs 1,000||Rs 1,000||1 year||0.45%||0.05%||0.05%||Rs 50 per lot|
|Rs 2,000||Rs 2,000||1 year||0.35%||0.04%||0.04%||Rs 50 per lot|
|Rs 3,500||Rs 3,500||1 year||0.20%||0.03%||0.03%||Rs 50 per lot|
|Rs 5,000||Rs 5,000||1 year||0.17%||0.025%||0.025%||Rs 35 per lot|
|Rs 7,500||Rs 7,500||1 year||0.15%||0.02%||0.02%||Rs 35 per lot|
|Rs 9,999||Rs 9,999||1 year||0.15%||0.02%||0.02%||Rs 35 per lot|
|Rs 10,000||Rs 10,000||6 months||0.15%||0.015%||0.015%||Rs 35 per lot|
|Rs 15,000||Rs 15,000||6 months||0.13%||0.0125%||0.0125%||Rs 35 per lot|
|Rs 18,000||Rs 18,000||1 year||0.15%||0.015%||0.015%||Rs 35 per lot|
|Rs 25,000||Rs 25,000||1 year||0.13%||0.0125%||0.0125%||Rs 35 per lot|
|Rs 30,000||Rs 30,000||1 year||0.10%||0.01%||0.01%||Rs 35 per lot|
|Rs 40,000||Rs 43,000||1 year||0.10%||0.01%||0.01%||Rs 25 per lot|
|Rs 50,000||Rs 55,000||1 year||0.10%||0.01%||0.01%||Rs 21 per lot|
|Rs 72,000||Rs 80,000||1 year||0.10%||0.01%||0.01%||Rs 18 per lot|
Ventura Trading Platform
- Ventura Pointer – This is a software based trading platform which is to be installed in the system. Ventura pointer has the features like customizes watch marker window, detail scrip and allow study, analyze & trade from chart window.
- Web-Based Trading – et.ventura1.com is a web-based trading platform but it lacks a lot of features.
- Ventura Wealth – Ventura wealth is a mobile app-based trading platform. This app is free if you register under plan Rs 9,999. This provides real-time trading and lives market updates.
Advantages of Ventura Security
- Offers a wide range of financial products to invest which includes equity, equity derivatives, commodities, mutual funds, fixed income products and currency futures.
- First-year AMC is free.
- The mobile app make trading more user friendly.
Disadvantages of Ventura Security
- You have to deposit a fixed yearly fee based on your plan along with the brokerage. The amount is refundable only if you generate a similar amount of brokerage for Ventura in a year.
Best Bank For Demat Account in India ( 3-in-1 account )
#9. ICICI Direct Demat and Trading Account ReviewICICI direct is one the largest share brokerage company having more than 20 lakh customers. ICICI Direct provides a wide range of services and investment options which includes
- Investment in equities, derivatives, mutual funds, SIP, IPO, NCD & bonds, ETF and currency.
- Wealth products.
- Home loans & loan against securities.
Who Should Apply
- If your trading volume is low then ICICI Direct account is best for you.
- If you have ICICI saving account and want to invest in IPO and Mutual Funds.
- You will get 3-in-1 account Saving+Trading+Demat
- It’s easy to transfer in and transfer out money.
ICICI offers 3 types of brokerage plans
1) I- Saver plan A variable percentage of brokerage is charged on basis of quarterly turnover. Higher the turnover, lesser will be the brokerage.
2) I- Secure Plan A fixed percentage of brokerage is charged on turnover. There are no turnover based slab rates like I- saver plan.
3) Prepaid Brokerage Plan You have to pay prepaid brokerage under this plan. The brokerage rate is lesser as compare to the other two plan. But your money will be locked & not beneficial for seasonal traders or investors to lock their money.
|Prepaid Card Value||Delivery Brokerage Rate||Intraday Brokerage Rate|
ICICI Direct Account Charges
- Account Opening Charges -Rs 975
- Annual Maintenance Charges – Rs 700
ICICIDirect Trading Platforms
- Share Trading Account – A web based platform with which you can do all the trading and investing activities. This is not purpose full if you want to do technical analysis for trading.
- Trade Racer – Trading platform suits for technical analysis as well. This provides features like live streaming quotes & research cells and integrated fund transfer system.
#10. SBICap Securities ReviewSBICap offers investment banking services which includes
- Capital Markets (including Public Issues, Rights Issues & Private Placement of Debt and Equity)
- Broking Services
- Financial Engineering
- Resource Mobilisation through Capital Markets
- Account Opening Charges -Rs 850
- Account Annual Maintenance Charges – Rs 800
SBICap Brokerage Charges
|Transaction Form||Brokerage (higher of)|
|Equity Intraday||0.05% or 5 paisa per share|
|Delivery||0.50% or 5 paisa per share|
|Futures||0.05% or 5 paisa per share|
|Options||Rs 100/ lot|
SBICap Trading Platforms
- SBI Desktop Trading Software – This is a software called eZ-trade@sbi which is provided to all the clients trading with them. This software has to instal in the computer.
- SBI Smart Trading Mobile App – This mobile app mobile allows SBI customers to trade in equities and derivatives through their mobile phones.
#11. HDFC Security ReviewHDFC security limited is a subsidiary of India’s largest private bank HDFC. HDFC securities provides 3-in-1 account which integrate your saving account, trading account and demat account.
- Account Opening Charges -Rs 0
- Account Annual Maintenance Charges – Rs 750 ( free for first year)
HDFC Trading Platform
- Web Based Trading – This is a web based trading platform called “ Securities trading and Securities processing”. This is one the best e-brokerage platform. It provides the real time market data and trading options.
- HDFC Securities Mobile Trading – HDFC mobile platform allow to trade in equities and derivatives through their mobile phones.
- Due to integrated accounts, funds can easily transfer from one account to another. Only helpful for HDFC saving account customers.
- High brokerage rate as compared to discount brokers.
- HDFC security doesn’t offer service in the commodity market.
- If you are new customer to HDFC, then firstly you have to open the saving account.
Which account are you going to open and why?
I tried to collect all the required information in a single article. Kindly let me know in the comments which account you are opening. For the best experience in trading… Open FREE account with Upstox.
Don’t spend much time on deciding about the demat accounts, rather spend more time on learning how can you make money from share market and trading.
Avoid the common mistakes that I also did in the past and lost my money. You must read how to start investing in the Indian stock market even if you have only Rs. 10,000 to start with.