SC Manhattan Platinum Credit Card Full Review[no_toc]
I am using Standard Chartered Manhattan card and I am in absolute love with it.
Why am I reviewing Manhattan card?
I applied for this card to get 5% cashback on groceries. SC Manhattan is probably the only card that gives cashback on shopping on groceries in superstores like Big Bazaar, Reliance, Easyday, and More.
With continuous usage of standard chartered manhattan card payment, I observed that it is the best credit card for cashback in India. There are other cards which offer benefits on travel, lifestyle and foreign transactions but Standard Chartered Manhattan card have a better reward redeem ratio.
I use Manhattan card for the following purpose
- Shopping in supermarkets
- Online shopping on e-commerce websites like flipkart and amazon
- Dining and Restaurants
- Hotels and Travel
You got it right! I use Standard Chartered Manhattan Credit Card for virtually every type of shopping.
- Loading money in Paytm wallet and buying Amazon Gift Cards – I use Amex Membership Rewards Credit Card
- Foreign Transaction & Business Expenses – I use HDFC Regalia
Watch Complete Standard Chartered Manhattan credit card review Video (Hindi)
Benefits of Manhattan Credit Card for Indian Citizens
You might be wondering why I spend so much money through a single credit card.
Most of the credit card companies play a game of reward points. They offer reward points per 100 rupees but often the redemption value of rewards is very low.
Here is what standard chartered credit card points look like,
I get 3 reward points for every 150 rupees spend. Every reward point is worth 25 paise when I redeem.
Let’s do a simple math,
- I spend about 150,000 rupees on this card
- I receive (150,000/150)*3 = 3000 points
- The reward points worth Rs 750
In addition, If I spend about 10000 rupees every month on groceries and receive cashback of Rs. 500.
A total saving of = (12*500)+750 = 6750
Conditions for 5% cashback in supermarket and departmental store
- Minimum transaction should be 1000 rupees (It’s not a big amount if you are buying from supermarket)
- Maximum cashback of 150 per transaction (Don’t spend more than 3000 per transaction. Make two bills if you are spending more than 3000 in a single day)
- Maximum cashback of 500 per month ( Spend maximum of 10,000 per month on groceries through supermarkets)
Note: My actual annual cashback varies because of fluctuations in my monthly expenses on a credit card.
Fees and Charges of Manhattan Card
Annual Fees – The card comes with joining fees of 499 and annual fees of 999.
The fee is nothing in front of benefits. They do not write on their website but in most of the cases they waive off joining fees and first year charges.
Standard Chartered Manhattan Credit Card Annual Fee Waiver
You will get the annual fee waiver on spending Rs 1,20,000 in the year.
I get the sc manhattan credit card for lifetime free by talking with SC customer representative on the phone by paying a one time fee of Rs 1500.
You can try to convert the card into lifetime free on the second.
First-year, you will get a free bookmyshow voucher worth Rs 2000.
Limited Time Offers
- Get INR 200 instant discount at Grofers by using promocode SCB200 on minimum purchases of INR 2,000.
- 15% off at over 850 restaurants in India.
- Get up to INR 1,000 off on SpiceJet, 20 feb 2020, code scb1000
Eligibility to Apply for SC Manhattan Credit Card
You must have a stable source of income to get any credit card.
Banks don’t write the exact eligibility criteria on their website but Standard Chartered Bank looks for people in age group 25 to 65 who have at least 6,00,000 annual income and resides in big cities. (I am passionate about credit cards and found this information from a true source)
It’s difficult to get your card approved if you are not a salaried employee. They prefer employees over business owners to mitigate credit risk.
You must have good credit score and excellent credit history. You can read how I improved my Credit History.
Some hacks even if you are not eligible
It’s always difficult to get a credit card for freelancers, small business owners, housewives and people with a low salary.
There are few other ways to get your Standard Chartered Manhattan credit card even if you are not eligible.
- Apply card based on your other bank credit card. If you do not own any credit card then apply for ICICI or HDFC credit card with the help of Fixed Deposit.
- Apply card based on your life insurance.
- If you are frequent traveler through Emirates Airlines
- If you are holding any loan from Standard Chartered Bank
You may also like to read – Best credit card in India
3 Step Instant Approval Application Procedure
When you click on this application link, you will see the following screen.
Fill up your name, city, date of birth, source of income, monthly salary, email and correct phone number. (Fill your salary at least 50,000 even if your salary is slightly less than 50K. You can explain it later when you receive verification call or at the time of document collection)
You will receive OTP on your mobile that you have to verify to complete the application procedure.
You must fill up your PAN card number in the application along with other mandatory details.
You will receive your application number on submission of the form.
Keep your documents ready for quick application approval.
Final words before your apply for SC Manhattan Card
You never know when you can get your card approved. Sometimes banks need to increase their credit card customer base and they relax their approval criteria. This review comes directly from my experience.
If you are also loving the benefits, you can easily apply for a Manhattan card
Let me know in comments if my review helped you or you may have any further questions!