Latest Update: April 15th, 2019
I opened my first demat account in 2006 just after getting my first job. I was excited to invest in the stock markets. I had my salary account with ICICI and it was damn easy to get a demat and trading account with ICICI bank.
But later I realized that ICICI charges a hell lot of charges for trading and delivery of shares into account. I still kept using ICICI for a couple of years. Why? Because my trading volume was very low and my overall investment in the stock market was less than 1,00,000 rupees.
Most of my investment was in Mutual Funds and Fixed Deposits.
It was easy to transfer funds from my saving account to demat account, so the high transaction charges did not bother me.
Difference between demat and trading account
A trading account is used to place buy or sell orders in the stock market. Demat means dematerializing shares into digital format rather than on physical paper. The demat account is used as a bank where shares bought are deposited in, and where shares sold are taken from. You will get a single account for demat & trading.
If you are long term investor, then you must read the most insightful article – 7 Smart Steps to Start Investing in Stock Markets even if you have just Rs. 10,000
I bet, you will love it.
In 2010, I started investing heavily in stock markets. In the past few years, I opened accounts with 5Paisa, Zerodha, Angel Broking, Sharekhan and Upstox.
My trading volume is low because I prefer to buy shares for the long term. For high trading volume, you can open an account with 5Paisa.
You can read the detailed review of demat accounts and decide which is the best trading platform for you.
How to Get Waiver on 5Paisa Account Charges
Best Demat Account in India with the Lowest Brokerage
#1. 5Paisa Demat Account
Unlike other demat and trading platforms, 5 Paisa offers flat Rs. 10 for trade. No matter how much you buy. You will not be charged based on any percentage.
- Invest in Mutual Funds and buy insurance through the same account
- Opening Charges – 650 Rs.
- Annual Maintenance Charges – Rs 400
Don’t worry about the account opening charges.
You will save a lot of money from the saving from your trade charges. ICICI charges 0.5% of the trade volume, that means I have to pay Rs. 500 for buying/selling 100,000 Rs. shares while at 5Paisa I will pay only Rs. 10.
Note: Account opening charges are non-refundable
Read the detailed review of 5Paisa Demat & Trading Account (Also my personal experience of opening account with them)
Margin provided by 5paisa
|Equity Intraday||Upto 15 times|
|Equity Delivery||5 times|
|Equity Futures||2 times|
|Equity Options||2 times|
|Currency F&O||2 times|
Account opening is very easy and convenient. You fill up simple online form and they will come to collect your documents.
5Paisa Brokerage Structure
|Equity Intraday||Rs 10 per executed order|
|Equity Delivery||Rs 10 per executed order|
|Equity Futures||Rs 10 per executed order|
|Equity Options||Rs 10 per executed order|
|Currency F&O||Rs 10 per executed order|
5Paisa Trading Platform
- Investor Terminal – Investor terminal is for the low volume traders. This is a web-based terminal and easy to access.
- Trader Terminal – Trader terminal is for high volume traders which provide a powerful interface and fast execution.
#2. Zerodha Demat Account Review
Zerodha is one of the largest discount broker having more than Over 1.5 lakh trading customers with the average daily trading transaction of over Rs 10,000 crore.
Zerodha is best for small investors because there are no minimum charges of brokerage per trade. The brokerage rate is 0.01% or Rs 20 per executed order whichever is lower.
Their main business review comes from derivatives, hence they have decided to charge zero brokerage on delivery.
Key Benefits of Zerodha
- Delivery is totally free. No brokerage on delivery.
- No minimum cap of brokerage per transaction.
- Maximum brokerage charge capped to Rs 20 irrespective of transaction volume.
- Provide a margin from 4 to 10 times.
- Trading Account Opening Charges ( one time) – Nil
- Demat Account Opening Charges ( one time) – Rs 300
- Trading Account Maintenance Charges (AMC) – Rs 0
- Demat Account Maintenance Charges (AMC) – Rs 300 per year
Zerodha Brokerage Charges
- Equity Delivery- zero brokerage
- Equity Intraday- 0.01% or Rs 20/per trade whichever is lower
- Equity Futures- 0.01% or Rs 20/per trade whichever is lower
- Equity Options- flat Rs 20 per trade.
Zerodha Trading Platforms
- Zerodha Trader – A complete trading solution for the investors and traders which provide complete market data and multi market access from a single front end.
- Zerodha Z5 – A browser based website specially for the users having low internet speed of less than 512 Kbps.
- Zerodha Mobile – A mobile app through which you can trade from your mobile also.
- Zerodha Pi – A next generation trading platform having many features such as integrating charting with up to 50,000 candles.
#3. Angel Broking Demat Account
Angel broking is one of the oldest brokerage company in India having established network branches in over 900 cities. At present angel broking providing service to more than 10,00,000 customers.
I am using that for 3 years now and loving their support system.
Angel broking ‘s customer care service is up to the mark.
I recommend Angel Broking for the peace of mind, best in class trading platforms.
I negotiated the brokerage charges at the time of account opening by giving a high amount of opening cheque.
You can also try when you meet with their agent.
Additional Benefits and Offers
- Lifetime FREE* demat account
- Get upto 4 movie tickets FREE on BookMyShow
Angel Broking Provided Trading Platforms
- Angel Eye – A web based platform useful for portfolio tracking and undated quotes. It also provide up-to-date market information and live news. I use Angel Eye platform for transactions.
- Angel Broking App – A mobile app useful to view current market prices and track your portfolio.
- Angel Speed Pro – An installable software comes with 30 days intraday and 20 years historical data.
- Margin provided up to 10 times of the amount deposit.
- Free SMS advisory service for 3 months.
- You can start trading within 1 hour through digital KYC.
Account Charges of Angel Broking
- Trading Account Opening Charges – Rs 0.
- Demat Account Opening Charges – Rs 0.
- Annual Maintenance Charges (Negotiate with the agent when they call you)
- Angel Classic ( 10,000 to 24,999) – Rs 450 per annum.
- Angel Preferred ( 25,000 to 49,999) – No AMC for 1st year and Rs 450 p.a afterwards.
- Angel Premier ( 50,000 to 99,999) – No AMC for 2 year and Rs 450 p.a afterwards.
- Angel Elite ( 1,00,000 & more) – No AMC for 3 years and Rs 450 p.a afterwards.
Trading/ Delivery,10000 to 24999,25000 to 49999,50000 to 99999,100000 & more
Equity Delivery, 0.32%, 0.224%, 0.176%, 0.128%
Equity Intertrade, 0.032%, 0.0224%, 0.0176%, 0.0128%
Equity Futures, 0.032%, 0.0224%, 0.0176%, 0.0128%
Nifty Options per lot, 40, 32, 24, 16
Other Options, 80, 64, 48, 32
#4. Religare Demat Account
Religare securities Ltd. (RSL) is a wholly owned subsidiary of religare enterprise. RSL is a diversified financial service group which serving more than 8 lakh across both online and offline platforms.
RSL offers broking services in equity, currency and commodity along with depository participant services.
- Demat Account Opening Charges – Nil
- Trading Account Opening Charges – Nil
- First Year Annual Maintenance Charges – Nil
- Annual Maintenance Charges From 2nd Year – Rs 500
Note – You can avail lifetime AMC free account with one-time payment of Rs.2500.
Religare Demat & Trading Account Brokerage Charges
- Intraday Charges – 0.05%
- Delivery – 0.50%
Advantages of Religare Securities Ltd
- RSL provide mobile trading platform to place order anytime from anywhere.
- Provides facility of investing in equities, derivatives, currency, futures, commodities and mutual funds through a single account.
- Provides intraday reporting and historical charting.
Disadvantages of Religare Securities Ltd
- Charge Rs 10 per offline order with a maximum limit of Rs 50 per day.
Best Demat Account for Small Investors
#5. Sharekhan Demat & Trading Account
Sharekhan is one of the leading online brokerage company having more than 12 lakh customer base. Presently the company has provided service from more than 1800 offices across 550 cities.
Sharekhan offers two type of accounts
1) Classic Account – Classic account is an online trading account for equities and derivatives best suited for investors. This account has the features like multiple watch lists, real-time portfolio tracking with price alerts and integrated banking.
2) Trade Tiger Account – Trade tiger account is a net-based executable application for active traders who trade frequently during the day’s trading session.
I have their classic account because I am not a trader, I am a value investor.
Account Charges of Sharekhan account
- Trading Account Opening Charges – Nil
- Demat Account Opening Charges – Nil
- Annual Maintenance Charges – Upto 750 (depend on the balance keep)
|Equity Intraday||0.1% on both sell & buy ( min 5 paise/share)|
|Equity Delivery||0.5% ( min 10 paise/share)|
|Equity Options||Rs 100 per lot or 2.5% on premium ( whichever is higher)|
Prepaid Amount, Period, Intraday , Delivery, Futures, Options (Higher of % on premium)
Rs 1000, 6 months, 0.09% (min 5p), 0.45%, 0.09%, 2.5 % or Rs 95
Rs 2000, 12 months, 0.07% (min 5P), 0.40%, 0.07%, 1.5% or Rs 80
Rs 6000, 12 months, 0.05% (min5P), 0.25%, 0.05%, 1% or Rs 70
Rs 18000, 12 months, 0.04% (min 4P), 0.20%, 0.04%, 1% or Rs 50
Rs 30000, 12 months, 0.03% (min 3P), 0.18%, 0.03%, 0.75% or Rs 40
Rs 60000, 12 months, 0.02% (min 2P), 0.15%, 0.02%, 0.50% or Rs 30
Rs 100000, 12 months, 0.015% (min 2P), 0.1% , 0.015%, 0.50% or Rs 25
Rs 200000, 12 months, 0.005% (min 2p), 0.08%, 0.005%, Flat Rs 10
Benefits of Sharekhan
- Account opening charges are adjusted towards first six months brokerage or waived off.
- No annual maintenance charge for the first year.
- Sharekhan provides online & offline training workshops to investors.
- Free call & trade facility.
Drawbacks of Sharekhan
- Minimum brokerage charge per stock would reduce your profit on trading small (penny) stock.
- Brokerage rate is higher as compared to other demat companies. But you can negotiate at the time of account opening.
Best Demat account for investors in India
#6. Motilal Oswal Demat Account
Motilal oswal financial services is at the third position in the list of best demat accounts in India. Motilal Oswal provides a huge number of services such as private wealth management, retail broking and distribution, institutional broking, asset management, investment banking, private equity, commodity broking, currency broking, principal strategies & home finance.
Presently the company has more than 1700 business locations with over 7.5 lakh registered customers. Motilal oswal’ solid research based advice is the reason of such a strong customer base. They spend Around 10% revenue on research and on hiring & training for research.
I do my own research before buying any stocks, so their research calls are not helpful to me.
- Demat Account Opening Charges – Rs 0
- Trading Account Opening Charges -Rs 0
- Annual Maintenance Charges – Rs 400.
Motilal Oswal Brokerage Charges
|Equity Options||75/ lot|
Motilal Oswal Trading Platforms
- Desktop Trading Platform – A desktop based platform which needs to installed in the system, provides to access over 30,000 research reports across all asset classes.
- Web Trading Platform – Accounts can be accessed very easily with any system through web
- Mobile Trading Platform – A mobile platform which allow to trade through mobiles and tablets.
Benefits of Motilal Oswal
- Award winning research advise covers around 95% of market capitalisation.
- Provides free brokerage for the first month.
#7. Ventura Securities
Ventura is a full service broking company which provides service to clients to invest in equity, equity derivatives, commodities, mutual funds, fixed income products and currency futures.
I am Ventura customer for a long time. Their web based online trading platform is not as matured as Angel & Sharekhan but they provide good support over phone. Their windows based trading platform is also good. You will need a little trading before starting your trading on their platform.
- Trading Account Opening Charges – Rs 150
- Demat Account Opening Charges – Rs 300
- First Year Annual Maintenance Charges – Nil
- Demat Account Annual Maintenance Charges – Rs 400
- Trading Account Annual Maintenance Charges- Nil
Ventura charge different brokerage rate depends upon the plan that you will choose. You have to pay the plan amount at the account opening time. Your brokerage will be adjusted against deposit throughout the year.
|Plan||Refundable amount||Validity||Equity Delivery||Equity Intraday||Equity Futures||Equity Options|
|Rs 1,000||Rs 1,000||1 year||0.45%||0.05%||0.05%||Rs 50 per lot|
|Rs 2,000||Rs 2,000||1 year||0.35%||0.04%||0.04%||Rs 50 per lot|
|Rs 3,500||Rs 3,500||1 year||0.20%||0.03%||0.03%||Rs 50 per lot|
|Rs 5,000||Rs 5,000||1 year||0.17%||0.025%||0.025%||Rs 35 per lot|
|Rs 7,500||Rs 7,500||1 year||0.15%||0.02%||0.02%||Rs 35 per lot|
|Rs 9,999||Rs 9,999||1 year||0.15%||0.02%||0.02%||Rs 35 per lot|
|Rs 10,000||Rs 10,000||6 months||0.15%||0.015%||0.015%||Rs 35 per lot|
|Rs 15,000||Rs 15,000||6 months||0.13%||0.0125%||0.0125%||Rs 35 per lot|
|Rs 18,000||Rs 18,000||1 year||0.15%||0.015%||0.015%||Rs 35 per lot|
|Rs 25,000||Rs 25,000||1 year||0.13%||0.0125%||0.0125%||Rs 35 per lot|
|Rs 30,000||Rs 30,000||1 year||0.10%||0.01%||0.01%||Rs 35 per lot|
|Rs 40,000||Rs 43,000||1 year||0.10%||0.01%||0.01%||Rs 25 per lot|
|Rs 50,000||Rs 55,000||1 year||0.10%||0.01%||0.01%||Rs 21 per lot|
|Rs 72,000||Rs 80,000||1 year||0.10%||0.01%||0.01%||Rs 18 per lot|
Ventura Trading Platform
- Ventura Pointer – This is a software based trading platform which is to be installed in the system. Ventura pointer has the features like customizes watch marker window, detail scrip and allow study, analyze & trade from chart window.
- Web Based Trading – et.ventura1.com is a web based trading platform but it lacks a lot of features.
- Ventura Wealth – Ventura wealth is a mobile app based trading platform. This app is free if you register under plan Rs 9,999. This provides real time trading and live market updates.
Advantages of Ventura Security
- Offers a wide range of financial products to invest which includes equity, equity derivatives, commodities, mutual funds, fixed income products and currency futures.
- First year AMC is free.
- The mobile app make trading more user friendly.
Disadvantages of Ventura Security
- You have to deposit a fixed yearly fee based on your plan along with the brokerage. The amount is refundable only if you generates similar amount of brokerage for Ventura in a year.
You may also like to read – Best credit card in India 2019
Best Bank For Demat Account in India ( 3-in-1 account )
#8. ICICI Direct Demat and Trading Account
ICICI direct is one the largest share brokerage company having more than 20 lakh customers. ICICI Direct provides a wide range of services and investment options which includes
- Investment in equities, derivatives, mutual funds, SIP, IPO, NCD & bonds, ETF and currency.
- Wealth products.
- Home loans & loan against securities.
Who Should Apply
- If your trading volume is low then ICICI Direct account is best for you.
- If you have ICICI saving account and want to invest in IPO and Mutual Funds.
- You will get 3-in-1 account Saving+Trading+Demat
- It’s easy to transfer in and transfer out money.
ICICI offers 3 types of brokerage plans
1) I- Saver plan
A variable percentage of brokerage is charged on basis of quarterly turnover. Higher the turnover, lesser will be the brokerage.
Turnover per quarter, Delivery Rate, Intraday Rate
Above Rs 5 crore, 0.25%, 0.125%
Rs 2 cr to 5 cr, 0.30%, 0.150%
Rs 1 cr to 2 cr, 0.35%, 0.175%
Rs 50 lakh to 1 cr, 0.45, 0.225%
Rs 25 lakh to 50 L, 0.55%, 0.275%
Less than Rs 25 L, 0.75%, 0.375
2) I- Secure Plan
A fixed percentage of brokerage is charged on turnover. There is no turnover based slab rates like I- saver plan.
Turnover per quarter, Delivery Rate, Intraday Rate
Irrespective of turnover, 0.55%, 0.275%
3) Prepaid Brokerage Plan
You have to pay prepaid brokerage under this plan. The brokerage rate is lesser as compare to the other two plan. But your money will be locked & not beneficial for seasonal traders or investors to lock their money.
|Prepaid Card Value||Delivery Brokerage Rate||Intraday Brokerage Rate|
- Account Opening Charges -Rs 975
- Annual Maintenance Charges – Rs 700
ICICIDirect Trading Platforms
- Share Trading Account – A web based platform with which you can do all the trading and investing activities. This is not purpose full if you want to do technical analysis for trading.
- Trade Racer – Trading platform suits for technical analysis as well. This provides features like live streaming quotes & research cells and integrated fund transfer system.
Recommended for you – Best credit card in India
#9. Kotak Securities Demat account
Kotak securities demat account offers a single account to hold certificates of your financial instruments like shares, bonds, government securities, mutual funds, and exchange-traded funds (ETFs).
Kotak securities provide a single platform for investments in equities, mutual funds, and currency derivatives. It also offers margin against securities using shares in your demat account. Available margin can be used for any of the three segments.
If you are looking for the broker advice then Kotak broker also provide daily alerts, economic reports and customizable Research Reports to its clients.
Kotak Securities Demat Account Fee & Charges
- Trading Account Opening Chrages – Rs 750
- Demat Account opening Charges – Nil
- Trading Account AMC – Nil
- Demat Account AMC – Rs 600
Other ChargesKotak Securities Trading Platforms
Kotak Securities offers 4 trading platforms to suit investor’s requirement. These are
- Website Based Trading – A stock trading website which can be accessed through any Web Browser. Kotak also offers a lightweight trading website ‘Xtralite’, which can be used by investors with slow speed internet.
- Trading Terminals (KEATProX and FASTLANE) – Kotak offers two different trading terminal based application. KEATProX is an exe based installable desktop application providing fastest trading experience. FASTLANE is a Java applet based application which gives you a trading terminal kind of experience without any installation on your computer.
- Mobile Stock Trading – Through Kotak mobile stock trading app you can Execute Trades, Monitor Portfolio, View Streaming Quotes and Intraday Charts.
- Branch Advisory and Call & Trade – Kotak also offers trading facility through its 1400+ branches and though call centers using call & trade facility.
Kotak Securities Advantages
- Kotak Securities website provides a wide range of investment options. This includes investment in equity, IPO’s, Bonds, FD’s, ETF’s, Mutual Funds, Currency Derivatives etc.
- It provides daily SMS alerts, market pointers, periodical research reports, stock recommendations to help the customers.
- Online Chat facility is available to support the customer.
Kotak Securities Disadvantages
- Kotak Securities is a Full Services Broker. The brokerage charged by them is higher than the Discount Brokers.
#10. SBICap Securities
SBICap offers investment banking services which includes
- Capital Markets (including Public Issues, Rights Issues & Private Placement of Debt and Equity)
- Broking Services
- Financial Engineering
- Resource Mobilisation through Capital Markets
- Account Opening Charges -Rs 850
- Account Annual Maintenance Charges – Rs 800
SBICap Brokerage Charges
|Transaction Form||Brokerage (higher of)|
|Equity Intraday||0.05% or 5 paisa per share|
|Delivery||0.50% or 5 paisa per share|
|Futures||0.05% or 5 paisa per share|
|Options||Rs 100/ lot|
SBICap Trading Platforms
- SBI Desktop Trading Software – This is a software called [email protected] which is provided to all the clients trading with them. This software has to instal in the computer.
- SBI Smart Trading Mobile App – This mobile app mobile allows SBI customers to trade in equities and derivatives through their mobile phones.
#11. HDFC Security
HDFC security limited is a subsidiary of India’s largest private bank HDFC. HDFC securities provides 3-in-1 account which integrate your saving account, trading account and demat account.
- Account Opening Charges -Rs 0
- Account Annual Maintenance Charges – Rs 750 ( free for first year)
Transaction Form, Brokerage (Rs 25 or 2.5% on transaction whichever is lower)
Equity deliver, 0.50% on both( buy & sell)
Square-Off Trades Cash & Carry Scrips, 0.10% on both( buy & sell)
Square-Off Trades Margin Scrips, 0.05% on both( buy & sell)
Futures Non-Square Off, 0.05% on both( buy & sell)
Futures Square Off, 0.025% on both( buy & sell)
Options Higher, of 1% on premium or Rs 100 per lot
HDFC Trading Platform
- Web Based Trading – This is a web based trading platform called “ Securities trading and Securities processing”. This is one the best e-brokerage platform. It provides the real time market data and trading options.
- HDFC Securities Mobile Trading – HDFC mobile platform allow to trade in equities and derivatives through their mobile phones.
- Due to integrated accounts, funds can easily transfer from one account to another. Only helpful for HDFC saving account customers.
- High brokerage rate as compared to discount brokers.
- HDFC security doesn’t offer service in the commodity market.
- If you are new customer to HDFC, then firstly you have to open the saving account.
Which account are you going to open and why?
I tried to collect all the required information in a single article. Kindly let me know in the comments which account you are opening.
For high volume trading, the first preference should be 5Paisa.
and second choice should be Zerodha.
Don’t spend much time on deciding about the demat accounts, rather spend more time on learning how can you make money from share market and trading.
Avoid the common mistakes that I also did in the past and lost my money.
You must read how to start investing in the Indian stock market even if you have only Rs. 10,000 to start with.
Learn and make money.